Weekly roundup of news and editorial articles on Artificial Intelligence posted between 27/07/2015 and 02/08/2015.
AI In The News
- AI Experts Sign Open Letter To Ban Killer Robots
On Tuesday more than 1,000 experts in AI research (including Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk, & Steve Wozniak) signed an open letter calling for a ban on the use of artificial intelligence to produce autonomous weapons, as reported in The Guardian and Business Insider.
- Ad Agencies Announce The World’s First AI Poster
On Monday a partnership of ad agencies, including M&C Saatchi, Clear Channel and Posterscope, announced the world’s first AI poster, which use Darwinian selection to self improve based on user interaction, as reported in The Guardian.
- Stephen Hawking Hosts Reddit AMA
On Monday, it was announced that Stephen Hawking is to host a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything), in which he will answer questions on a range of subjects including artificial intelligence, as reported by Live Science.
- Cubic Robotics Preview AI With Personality
On Thursday, Cubic Robotics previewed their AI digital assistant (Cubic), which claims to be the most advanced digital assistant yet, as reported by The Huffington Post.
- Self Driving Tesla Coming Soon, Says Elon Musk
On Friday, Tesla founder Elon Musk tweeted that a series of upgrades to Tesla’s cars would soon be released, including ‘highway autosteer’, as reported by Wired and The Huffington Post.
AI Articles & Editorial
- Is artificial intelligence really an existential threat to humanity? (The Bulletin)
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Drugs Better And Faster (Popular Science)
- Killer robots spark fears over the future of artificial intelligence (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Can Artificial Intelligence Make Us Stupid? (The Huffington Post)
- Why We’re Probably Looking For Aliens In Completely The Wrong Place (Ai-Spy)